Besides the journey here, the first two weeks have been filled up with various orientation activities-mostly lectures. We had language class everyday for the first two weeks and usually a few lectures every day. The lectures were interesting, but a bit overwhelming for the first week here. We were all still adjusting to the time difference and found it difficult to stay awake. Lectures were usually about politics or culture, and we had some pretty interesting and important people come to the house. We were usually unaware of their importance until after the fact but one person was the candidate who ran against the current president. We also had a few drum lessons which annoyed the neighbors as Liz was told over ataya recently. It was pretty cool even though I am not very good, and we all even got our own drums. Last weekend we went on a trip to Tumani Tenda. We spent Friday night at the village which is completely supported by the ecotourism. It was pretty interesting to see the village and we met a traditional healer, saw the gardens that everyone worked on, looked at the school/helped move some blocks for a fence, and met the oldest woman in the village. Recently we have just been working at getting our internships. I met with the director of the the Fisheries Department and he spoke to me about the department. Of course he was late though- I just have to remember WAIT (west African international time). There wasn't anyone at the National Environmental Agency to talk to me (surprise surprise) so the secretary just gave me a book. Not so helpful. So I guess I will work at the Fisheries Department if all goes as planned, which never happens in Africa. Classes also started this week (sort of) so that was pretty interesting. I have only actually had Physics so far. Andrea, Liz, and I all have the class and we can't understand a single thing the professor says. He might as well not even be speaking English, but hopefully it will get better. Lucy and Seth got food poisoning earlier this week from some food called Chakrey (spelling) that we had at a naming ceremony with Awa's family. Its made with sour milk and some type of grain and just sounds like a bad idea. Most of us only had a bite, but Seth and Lucy had about half a plate. We ended up spending the rest of the day at the beach which probably didn't help out the situation. I went with them to the hospital which was pretty interesting. We were glad we had toured it before so it wasn't such a shock, but lets just say that I wouldn't want to end up there. Everything is outdated, stained, or seems to be broken and the nurses were all just sitting around. There were about 10 million mosquitoes in the room we were in so I probably contracted Malaria just by sitting there. Thankfully the doctor was able to come in and they could be treated without having to stay overnight. Lets just say I don't want to ever get food poisoning. Shots in the butt don't sound very fun. So I should really try to update this blog more often so I don't have to talk about a million things at once. I will try to add more later. I am sure I forgot tons.
gecko in the bathroom
walking to visit a school and Le Bato Beach (lots of Bumsters here)
Becca and Liz D. building sandcastles with some kids
Oh and I almost forgot. We had a naming ceremony where we all got Gambian names. They come in handy when you don't want to give people your real name or when they can't pronounce it. Mine is Yameh Secka. I will put up some pictures later.
Wow Emily it sounds like an adventure. I hope you post often as I love reading about Gambia. I want to see more pictures too.
ReplyDeleteSounds so interesting! I'm sure things will get easier as you get used to the new culture and surroundings! Can't wait to hear about your fish adventures!! :)
ReplyDeleteMM! love reading about your journey, please keep writing and more pictures please. LOVE the tie-dye.
ReplyDeleteHi Emily
ReplyDeleteYour mom gave me this info and I am excited about your experience in Gambia. I have been reading your site for a while now, but just decided to let you know by becoming a "follower". Since my computer skills leave something to be desired, I hope that you will get to read this.
Chris (from across the street!) he he he! :)
Yay! It worked.
ReplyDeleteHope you are having fun....