Saturday, February 7, 2009

ndanka ndanka

So things seem to happen here very slowly. Ndanka, ndanka (slowly, slowly in Wolof). No one is ever on time and there never seems to be a rush to get things done. I guess that could be good sometimes, but most of the time it is quite annoying. I have only had one class so far. Andrea and I have been to 3 others, but the professors have been no shows. I guess it will get firgured out though. No one we talk to acts like it is a big deal, and some teachers haven't even started their lectures yet. It is a little frustrating because most of the teachers just decide to change the time and day of their class and disregard the schedule. Gambian students always seem to know when this happens, but I guess we just don't get included in the memo. I guess we just have to keep going to classes until we find ones that work out. My internship is going to be at the Fisheries Department and as soon as I hear back from them I guess I can start. Hopefully that will be sometime soon.
On Thursday we had a test in Wolof which wasn't so bad and other than going to classes which no one shows up for, I don't think much has happened.
Today we had a lecture on social structure in the Gambia. None of us were very excited to have that considering it is Saturday and we had planned on going to Senegambia. It also didn't help that we found out about the lecture an hour before it started. The lecturer had some interesting things to say, but of course he talked extremely slow and dragged on and on. Good thing these will be a regular Saturday morning occurrence. Sike
So after the lecture some of the group went to Senegambia, and the rest of us met up with them later at Palma beach. Becca, Lucy, Erin and I all took a bush taxi to the post office, and then found a taxi to take us to the beach. When we got there the other group was having lunch in Senegambia so we decided to walk down the beach to find a place to eat. Turns out that isn't so easy when you need to find somewhere that has reasonable prices. Palma was very touristy and every restraunt was priced accordingly. There were Europeans everywhere. Mostly old, out of shape ones in spedos and bikinis. It was very strange and every place seemed to cater to them. So we continued to walk down the beach, trying to ignore the masses of bumsters. Some taxi driver started to talk to us and proceded to walk with us on our search for a restraunt. He told us of a place that had cheap African food, and after explaining to him that we really didn't need him to eat with us we were on our way. We finally found it, and he wasn't lying when he said cheap. One plate was 20 delasi (less than a dollar) and it was rice with red sauce and fish if you wanted. I just stuck to the rice and sauce and it was really good even if it was from a lady who served it out of a bucket.
After lunch we went back on the beach and caught up with everyone else. It wasn't very relaxing because we were surrounded by bumsters constantly. Everytime some would give up, a new batch seemed to come in. Walking on the beach didn't help either. The only way to avoid them is to go in the water because they are usually wearing shoes and won't go in. Lets just say we probably won't be going back to that beach.
When we got back we talked to Muhammed and Anna (some of the staff) and then went out to dinner. We tried to find a new place to eat at, but walked around and couldn't find the one we were looking for. We ended up going to the Come Inn and then came back to the house and hung out.

Thats all I can think of for now. Here are some more pics....not from today though.
Me touching a crocodile at Kachikally Tyler breaking it down at the naming ceremonyBraids... Tyler, Anna, and Seth dancing at the beach Drumming lessons on the balcony

6 comments:

  1. That seems pretty cool that you got to touch a crocodile. Were they wild?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the braids. Would like to see a picture of you at the naming ceremony.

    Got your shirts today. Will look for the other thing tomorrow or Wednesday and will mail on Thursday or Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave didn't say that, I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write more!! You promised me a blog post a couple days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, We love reading about your adventures. Write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amy! Sorry I haven't responded...
    They were at a crocodile pool so people fed them, but you could only touch that one because they weren't tame. He was supposedly the only one they let people touch.

    ReplyDelete